Saturday, January 28, 2012

The heart choice of PURITY (Part One)

"But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean'. For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. These are what make a man 'unclean'; but eating with unwashed hands does not make him 'unclean'." Matthew 15:18-20

This verse holds meaning for every aspect and choice in life. But for today I want to apply it to the subject of purity, and take captive the false perception that purity means never having or had sex. I'd also like to talk more on the walk from my earlier posts.

Everything we do is a choice we make in our heart, then our heart tells our brain and our brain tells the rest of our body. Those who make mistakes and really don't know what they were doing is a sign of a weak heart. Those who have brain damage, usually have an amazing heart, but the message gets messed up in transit. Those who have damaged hearts sometimes act like they have no brain. Those who have strong hearts, can control themselves easier than others.

Just as your literal heart pumps your blood to keep you alive, so does your figurative heart pump things through you to make you who you are. This is why those who do not know Jesus, whose hearts do not belong to God yet, are okay with doing stupid things.

What makes a man 'unclean'?

By what Jesus said, it is our hearts, not what we do. But our actions reflect our hearts.
I believe this verse is very important right now because I have met many people who think they can't be "pure" because they have done something in the past.

I would like to take hold of this lie.

No matter how many times you wash your hands, you aren't going to be 'clean' unless your heart is clean. The enemy will try to tell you that you have missed out on your chance to follow God when you made out with that guy, or had sex with that girl, or killed that person (extreme, I know, but it counts too). This is a LIE. Do not believe it. No where in God's Word does He say "I want perfect people, who have never sinned". This would go against and contradict Jesus' WHOLE reason for coming to the world! Without sinners...there is no need for a Savior! "But God demonstrated His own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" Romans 5:8

You need Jesus in your heart to be able to walk in pursuit of purity. Without your heart wanting to be pure...you never will be. This also means that those who have sinned in the past, have a chance to be pure...just as much as someone who hasn't fooled around.
When we all die and come before God's judgement, we will be judged based on our motives for what we did, not our actions themselves. There is no way around this. If someone thought that they could "get away" with sin because God said He doesn't judge our works...his heart is not in the right place. That is what God will judge first.

So strip away all the confusion that you may have because of religion, or what other people have said, and listen to what God has to say. He has a plan for you. Break away from your mistakes, let God into your heart so that you can pursue what you were always meant to pursue, purity.

It isn't easy...but it is what you were made for. Go back to His Word, give Him your sins, your past, your regrets...and make the decision in your heart to seek Him. It is YOUR choice, you have to be the one to make it.

Here is a sample prayer. Pray from your heart remembering that God has loved you all your life and He knows everything about you. Don't complicate it, just pray.

Dear God,
I know You know what I have done in the past
I know You saw the motives of my heart and there was no where I could hide from You
So today, I am asking Your forgiveness for the things I have done
I'm sorry I forgot You and disobeyed You.
Please, forgive me.
I want to walk in Your ways and not my own.
I tried it on my own and I failed and made things worse.
I want what You have for me.
Teach me to pursue purity.
Search my heart so that it can be fully committed to You
Teach me how to let go of my past
and strengthen me to say "no" to things I shouldn't do.
Put people around me to keep me accountable.
Thank You for always being there, even when I didn't see You.
Thank You for creating me.
Thank You for loving me.
In the name of Jesus Christ my Savior,
Amen

Those with "unclean hands" can glorify God with their now clean heart :)

(Part Two : I'll talk about the lifestyle of a heart that pursues purity and "the walk")

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to the "damaged heart" at this time in my life.....

    Thank you for that prayer Amanda... the Holy Spirit tugged at my heart and I cried my eyeballs out... in pure joy and love in Gods everlasting love and grace, of course!!! Thank you for loving me Jesus! forever... woohoo ;) haha
    "Don't complicate it, just pray..." Amen.

    ReplyDelete