Thursday, August 8, 2013

Why Purity?

I have talked about purity for a long time. The subject has not only interested me, but I have committed to wait and to be patient myself. As I took a walk today and talked to God about the concerns on my heart I asked Him the question "Why purity God?" and I began to think about what some of my readers or witnesses might be asking as I talk about purity and write about waiting.

Why Purity?
If giving into sin is so easy why purity?
If it feels good to have sex before marriage why purity?
If it is so hard to resist temptation why purity?

As I began to think about it God reminded me about His Word. Many times God said to follow Him even when no one else was. He called people to trust Him in circumstances that were taxing. Why does He call us to hard things, when the things He warns us about are so easy?

In my heart, how I answer this question is reminding myself of 3 things.

1) I do not know the future.
2) What I do know is that God does know the future, and He has a plan
3) God has something better than what sin can give me

When Adam and Eve sinned in the garden, they didn't physically die, they still had blood flowing through their veins, but what they missed out on was having a connection with the Lord and being so close to Him without shame. Sin altered that connection. God had something better than what sin gave them, but they couldn't go back to change their sin.

Purity is there as a guide for us. It never ends or stops unless you don't want it anymore. Purity comes from your relationship with God. The purity of your relationship with Him will flow to your relationships with others, including your boyfriend or husband and also your friends. Purity is a lifestyle choice, not a pill. As I have written before, purity isn't some quick decision...it is accessible to every believer and it's up to them to apply it to their lives or not. No one is held accountable to someones purity but that person. We all make our own decision in life. And it isn't our place to tell people what to do, but rather to be sharing what the Word of God says. Truth should always be constantly flowing in the conversations of believers. Bible verses should be coming up. We should be encouraging one another to Stand Firm. We should be sharing our failures and our dreams with each other know that each person is just as human as we are. This should be happening...but it's up to each believer to make the choice to be that kind of person.

I don't write this blog to point fingers and people, I write to drawing attention to God's truth. Truth naturally exposes lies. Forgiveness exposes sin. Love exposes bitterness.

So that is what our goal should be to be a light in the darkness!

I'm off to lunch now :)


No comments:

Post a Comment